YES and Roger Dean fan: James Cameron

The genius of Chris Squire
walker
Advanced Member

YES and Roger Dean fan: James Cameron

Post by walker »

I say this based on the very Deanish imagery used in his Avatar movie. Anyone else notice the similarity? It would be interesting to get commentary from JC on the subject.

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: YES and Roger Dean fan: James Cameron

Post by johnallg »

To add here, as I said this in the Avatar thread, I too saw the similarity from only the trailers I've seen. Hope to see the movie (2d unfortunately) this weekend.
ram

Post by ram »

When I first saw the images I hastened back to Roger Dean. I had several book of his (only one survives today) and got it out just to make sure I wasn't geezzzzing. And sure enough there is some kind of linkage happening here. I didn't see Roger in the credits of the movie - but in my mind Dean was the seed for the alien landscape. Even the bird creatures' wings were very reminiscent of some of Rogers work... I would love to hear the question asked to Cameron. Not in a mean way thou.... intentional or not it is very flattering to both I think.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Yes, definitely. The connection is a good thing!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

i saw the movie yesterday,3d,(and let me just say it is a visually stunning experience)...and when they got to the floating mountains,as well as the massive rock arches,that was purely from roger dean's influence i would say. the dragon creatures were also very similar to dean's work. i was scanning the credits for any mention,but did not see roger dean listed anywhere. the story line was a bit predictable,(like life sometimes can be...) but i thoroughly enjoyed the ride!
squirefan01
Intermediate Member

Post by squirefan01 »

Great movie! I immediately thought of Roger Dean when the floating mountains were shown.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”