Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aiptasia budget aquarium

king aiptasia

king aiptasia

It is simple and has a certain aesthetic. No pumps, no heaters, no protein skimmers, just a walmart purchased white led indoor lighting 75 watt equivalent and a 10 gallon aquarium. I got some live rock and a few snails hitchhiked along with sponges, some Eurythoe worms, amphipods, Spirorbis, Aiptasia (of course) and a standard black molly. The valonia isnt taking strong hold so I assume it needs more heat, the coralline algae only grows in the less brightly lit portions. There is no sediment on the bottom (yet) but an interesting purple reddish chunky biofilm has formed over the year I've had this tank. As for feeding its a waste basket, I throw fish flakes, seafood scraps from meals in there, dead insects, I had a frog that died and he too went in there (and disappeared within a day). Ignore the hazy reflection the steel table gave the glass, the water is actually crystal clear. The fish mostly bides his time eating algae on the wall, I've been meaning to get him a partner but the stores have never stocked black mollies since.    

Why did I do it? It was cheap to set up and at the time I worked long hours. Even though I've had more elaborate setups, I really do appreciate the simple things in life. There's some degree of unchanging calmness and character this tank has, also having the ugliest tank on this site is an honor I probably take :) but the little inhabitants sure are happy to be with me 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 5
  • Wow 3

OMG, this made me shudder, and I even tried to create a pest tank.  Have you checked out "curly cue anemones"?  Might be a nice addition. 

Well done dude. 

• Like 1
king aiptasia
3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

OMG, this made me shudder, and I even tried to create a pest tank.  Have you checked out "curly cue anemones"?  Might be a nice addition. 

Well done dude. 

I guess if I find them I'll consider them as an addition. I notice a lot of hitchhikers and pests are very hard to find. it took quite a while to find the good aiptasia rock

there's also sea cucumbers in here but i see them very very rarely

king aiptasia
2 hours ago, growsomething said:

Those things are unbelievably hardy!  If they were hard to grow we would probably pay big money for them.

Objectively it looks great

I've always told people if dandelions were hard to grow people would pay 15 dollars a plant without a second thought. for any real broke newbies i wonder why we don't recommend aiptasia as starter anemones lol

growsomething

I was a guest in Singapore of a botonist who started Gardens by the Bay.  He pulled gnarly little white-flowered weeds from his front lawn here in FL and planted them in that billion dollar garden.  Let me see if I can get a pic in my yard...

20210129_183400.thumb.jpg.5c6cebd1a9c3a1cb55de85d36fe59f66.jpg

• Like 2
king aiptasia
1 minute ago, growsomething said:

I was a guest in Singapore of a botonist who started Gardens by the Bay.  He pulled gnarly little white-flowered weeds from his front lawn here in FL and planted them in that billion dollar garden.  Let me see if I can get a pic in my yard...

20210129_183400.thumb.jpg.5c6cebd1a9c3a1cb55de85d36fe59f66.jpg

lol my kind of guy, simple pleasures, a happy litter asterid of some sort in assumably sandy soil (they probably grow fairly well in singapore)

I've always wanted to live in florida lol

• Like 1
growsomething

Come on down (or over).  Where are you  now btw, and where are you from originally? It feels like all of America North of the mason-dixon line are moving here bcs of Covid and needing to stay indoors due to cold weather.  I've never seen real-estate like this in 48 ys!

• Like 1
king aiptasia
15 hours ago, growsomething said:

Come on down (or over).  Where are you  now btw, and where are you from originally? It feels like all of America North of the mason-dixon line are moving here bcs of Covid and needing to stay indoors due to cold weather.  I've never seen real-estate like this in 48 ys!

Jersey, used to be in ohio once upon a time. my true dream is to have some property all to myself with no neighbors to complain about my projects. doesn't even need a house on it, just an affordable stretch of a few acres. the main reason I talk about florida is cause the weather is pretty nice, but honestly i doubt id enjoy it there because of the density of people and the absurd prices for property. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, king aiptasia said:

I'm always interested, freshwater or saltwater?

Saltwater.  I might have a few pictures of them in my signature somewhere.  If you're serious, shoot me a PM and I'll get you some.  

• Like 1
king aiptasia
5 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

Unreal. lol. Was this a premediated choice?

One thing's for sure - you are the King of Aiptasia. All hail the king! lol 

Very much premeditated. I like how the Aiptasia look (especially when the blue starts to show on big specimens), they don't die, and they are well within my current budget. The tank is mostly for the Eurythoe worms, they are the centerpiece of the tank even though they are kinda shy and hidden most the time. 

People talk about controlling Aiptasia and how they grow super fast, and though it is true they grow fast, this has taken a full year to grow these specimens to show worthy sizes, with deliberate spot feeding. Granted there is no pumps to fan a constant stream of food to them, but the ones I dont feed directly grow at a rate of probably a mm per month. 

king aiptasia

I'm curious what the actual maximum size these animals can attain.

kinda random, but I once put a dead frog in the tank (a pet of mine that died) around 2 inches long, and the worms dragged it under the rock and made it disappear completely by morning. and any guppies or other fish that die in freshwater tank, or insects from terrariums I find dead, get thrown in there also, its like my little graveyard tank. Sometimes I take seafood scraps like crab shell and other shells crush them and put them in there for decoration and substrate.

11 hours ago, king aiptasia said:

I'm curious what the actual maximum size these animals can attain.

I bet the answer is very large. Whats the size of your largest Aiptasia head ?