Top Shelf Aquatics

Aiptasia on rock... first pest sighting in my reef. Considering what to do.

Sarrakitty

So while I was observing my tank, I discovered that there is a tiny aiptasia anemone on a mushroom coral covered rock that I bought. It's only about maybe half a centimeter long, a pretty small thing, and was no doubt even smaller when it hitchiked in on the rock. (otherwise I wouldn't have taken this rock home.) the rock is covered in small mushrooms about an inch across each for the biggest, and several tiny baby mushrooms as well. I really want to preserve the mushrooms but I want the anemone killed dead asap, before it spreads, (if it hasn't released any spawn into the water to grow elsewhere already...)

That's my situation, and I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do.

My brother, who kept marine aquariums and had a lot of aiptasia problems in the past, basically told me to cut off all the mushrooms and treat them as frags, and get the rock out of the tank, if I wanted to be sure of the anemone's removal. I'm hesitant to go taking a knife to my corals I'll admit, and I don't know if the smaller of the mushrooms on the rock would survive that. I do have supplies ( a coral dip (iodine based), razor blades, container to cut it in, and rubble in the tank it can attach to) so I am prepared to take this option if nececary. I do want many mushroom corals in the tank so if pulling them all off and fragging the larger ones would work I will do it. However, I'm wondering if this idea(cutting all the corals off and trying to transplant them elsewhere) isnt TOO drastic in response to the, currrently very tiny, anemone. I wanted a second opinion on that.

I also am considering trying to chip off the piece of the rock the anemone is attatched to and throw it away... however if this is not the only one on this rock (it is the only one I have SEEN, but that doesnt mean there aren't more) What are the chances this anemone is the only one, and would this be worth doing first and then watching?

it's too small to use aiptasia x or similar treatment on, and too close to the mushrooms. It would be smothered by the stuff, not just put into the anemone's mouth.

So... tl:dr, I found a tiny aiptasia amongst some shrooms, and want it dead, but want to keep all my shrooms if I can, with the best chance that the anemone is gone and won't be coming back. What do?

here are some pics of the rock in question. Unfortunately you're going to just have to trust me on it being an aiptasia (I definitely know how to identify them though. It was just too tiny to get my camera to focus on) I marked the location of the anemone with a red circle though. There is coraline algae growing on the glass that I need to finish scraping off, that's what the random pinkish stuff is.

aiptasiaonrock.jpg

aiptasiaonrock2.jpg

• Like 1

Aiptasia x, boiling water, lemon juice are all treatment methods.

Berghia nudibranch

Peppermint shrimp but these can go after corals.

I've never had an issue getting rid of aiptasia or having them take over. Aiptasia x always works for me

• Like 1

Superglue. Take the rock out of the water, wait for the aiptasia to shrink up, and put a drop of superglue on it. In your case, nudge the mushrooms out of the way with a toothpick if they don't shrink up small enough to expose the thing on their own. The other chemical options have a chance of causing the aiptasia to spore, but it can't spore with its mouth glued shut, and the glue sets instantly. Won't hurt your mushrooms (even if you somehow glue a mushroom down to the rock, it would probably be fine), simple, cheap, and effective as all hell. The only difficulty is keeping track of where the anemone is as it shrinks up. Look closely to be sure you get the glue squarely on it, it can get out sometimes if you just get the edge of it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Tired said:

Superglue. Take the rock out of the water, wait for the aiptasia to shrink up, and put a drop of superglue on it. In your case, nudge the mushrooms out of the way with a toothpick if they don't shrink up small enough to expose the thing on their own. The other chemical options have a chance of causing the aiptasia to spore, but it can't spore with its mouth glued shut, and the glue sets instantly. Won't hurt your mushrooms (even if you somehow glue a mushroom down to the rock, it would probably be fine), simple, cheap, and effective as all hell. The only difficulty is keeping track of where the anemone is as it shrinks up. Look closely to be sure you get the glue squarely on it, it can get out sometimes if you just get the edge of it.

Aiptasia can move, with the glue method there is a risk of them moving through other holes in the rock.

I have never heard of them sporeing from aiptasia x. 

Aiptasia-X is a unique, thick adhesive mixture that globulates on contact with the aquarium water.

It is easily injected near to the oral disk of the anemone and stimulates the anemone to ingest the material without causing it to withdraw.
Within minutes of ingesting the Aiptasia-X the anemone will implode, eradicating both the anemone and planulas.

Aiptasia-X globules will not affect the sessile polyps of corals and allows for the safe treatment of Aiptasia that have grown inside coral colonies.

Excess Aiptasia-X will decompose over time without causing any harm to the reef.

Red Sea Aiptasia-X  offering :

• A unique adhesive material
  • Aiptasia does not retract during treatment
  • Does not affect water chemistry

• Like 1

That's why you have to get the glue ON the aiptasia. Sealing it in the hole is a maybe, but gluing the whole thing to itself will kill it no problem. It can't do much if its mouth is glued shut and it can't extend, and because it's capped with glue, no cells are loose to reproduce. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Tired said:

That's why you have to get the glue ON the aiptasia. Sealing it in the hole is a maybe, but gluing the whole thing to itself will kill it no problem. It can't do much if its mouth is glued shut and it can't extend, and because it's capped with glue, no cells are loose to reproduce. 

stating that cells will spread when it causes the whole thing to die including its larvae when properly used, sounds more like another forum "rumor" than fact. 

If it was the case, all of us who have used the product for years, would have nothing but aiptasia in our tanks.

tanks would be over run with mushrooms, xenia, polyps too as many use the product to kill unwanted pest corals.

• Like 1

Like you, I also found one tiny aiptasia on my rock.  It's dead now and I've never seen another one ever again to this day.  I think if I wasn't in a hurry to get rid of it the moment I saw it, I'd also give "Aiptasia-X" a try.  But, once I see something I don't want, I will go to extreme measures to kill it or get rid of it.

So, I put on some gloves.

I grabbed a plastic pipette and a tiny bowl of pure lemon juice.

Squirted that lemon juice right into the face of the aiptasia.

Took out my trusty tweezers and dug it ALL out, even some of the rock just to make sure no evidence was left behind.

I may have even siphoned out any residue that was left behind from my carnage.

And, that was the very last time I've ever seen any aiptasia in any of my reef tanks.

• Like 2

I did aiptashia x for a while.  Can't say for certain, but believe the aiptashia X killed two heads of a beautiful hammer and almost sure it killed a clam.  If you do use aiptashia X I would encourage turning off all flow for longer than recommended.  Around 40 min to prevent it from spreading around tank while still sticky.  I often feel I missed the aiptashia when using aiptashia X and had it spreading pretty good.  I did finally try the peppermint shrimp approach.  Believe it or not it worked!!!!! No coral damage.   two peppermint shrimp in 36g display.  shrimp went to town on it and haven't  seen any aiptashia since putting them in tank.   About the only thing I have bought that worked like advertised.  

I recommend peppermint shrimp too. It worked very well for me.

I read through similar threads when I made my decision, and the pattern of advice is exactly the same. Lemon juice, aiptasia x, glue over it, and peppermint shrimp. Go with your gut, make a pick, and see what happens. There will always be advice and anecdotes to back up your decision

51 minutes ago, FLARGUE said:

I recommend peppermint shrimp too. It worked very well for me.

I read through similar threads when I made my decision, and the pattern of advice is exactly the same. Lemon juice, aiptasia x, glue over it, and peppermint shrimp. Go with your gut, make a pick, and see what happens. There will always be advice and anecdotes to back up your decision

I did too but they come with a risk. They are known to go after coral, mine enjoyed about $80 in acans in less than 24hrs.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I had a whole patch of Aiptasia once; when I introduced peppermint shrimp to my tank, one of them floated onto the Aiptasia mat  right after acclimation. He immediately and completely shredded and ate every single last one of those sobs. He was a model citizen towards corals too. 

Trouble with peppermints is they often don’t get the whole thing, and it can spore. Wind up with tons of tiny ones instead of big ones. Also many are misIDed- only one species actually eats aiptasia.

Superglue is cheap and effective and great for just a couple. Aiptasia-x for higher numbers. Bergia nudibranchs for awkward to reach ones, or sneaky ones, or heavy populations.

A couple of my mushrooms have decided to uh "frag" themselves lately, (which im happy about, they are growing and multiplying all  on their own) and I just went with the superglue option. I'll see if it comes back. I was really freaking out and wanting to remove the entire rock at first, but I'll just keep an eye on it. if the anemone comes back, I'll get the shrimp. Anyone know a place that has guaranteed to eat aiptasia ones? Not the mislabeled kind? Or how to tell the difference?

13 hours ago, Sarrakitty said:

A couple of my mushrooms have decided to uh "frag" themselves lately, (which im happy about, they are growing and multiplying all  on their own) and I just went with the superglue option. I'll see if it comes back. I was really freaking out and wanting to remove the entire rock at first, but I'll just keep an eye on it. if the anemone comes back, I'll get the shrimp. Anyone know a place that has guaranteed to eat aiptasia ones? Not the mislabeled kind? Or how to tell the difference?

There is no guarantee that they will eat them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, Clown79 said:

tanks would be over run with mushrooms[...]too as many use the product to kill unwanted pest corals.

I wish it would kill pest corals.....I've bombed the hell out of my shrooms multiple times with it....I think they just ate it like it was food and lived on.  (There was no apparent effect.  I even tried homemade kalk paste.  Bzzt.)

I've heard that the Black Damselfish might like to eat soft corals.  Plus they look really cool when they're young.  (Fairly cool as an all-black adult too, as far as all-black fish go.)

(Have one, but not sure I'm keeping him....was an unplanned rescue.)

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

I’ve used aiptasia x, lemon juice, a blowtorch, and super glue. They’ve all worked to remove the aiptasia but I wouldn’t recommend the blowtorch, especially near zoas. Currently I’ve been using superglue but I’ve only had to use it on frag plugs before they went in my tank. 

On 12/11/2019 at 5:48 AM, mcarroll said:

I wish it would kill pest corals.....I've bombed the hell out of my shrooms multiple times with it....I think they just ate it like it was food and lived on.  (There was no apparent effect.  I even tried homemade kalk paste.  Bzzt.)

I've heard that the Black Damselfish might like to eat soft corals.  Plus they look really cool when they're young.  (Fairly cool as an all-black adult too, as far as all-black fish go.)

(Have one, but not sure I'm keeping him....was an unplanned rescue.)

I tried aiptasia x on mushrooms. Some it worked on, some not at all.

Didn't work on xenia beside tiny pieces of flesh left on rock. 

I haven't tried it on gsp 

I tried a relative to the peppermint shrimp, Lymasta Kuekenthali. Same genus as the peppermint shrimp (lymasta wurdemanni). they are a bit shy. I rarely see them out, but they took care of a few apitasia I had. Down to one now, the other died shortly after it was placed in the tank. It molted within the first two days, and I don't think it made it. 

I tried aiptasia x, seemed to work, but then I saw more on the other side of the rock several weeks later. The decision to try the shrimp was made as the aiptasia was in bad spot on a large rock that I did not want to remove to treat.