Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I actually liked Gen X and Mutant X very much.

Both titles appeared throughout the mid to early 00s when television was dominated by Power Rangers, Buffy, Highschool drama, X-Files, and coming of age films. The MTV generation.

Yes, they weren’t perfect but picked up a lot of nowadays‘ topics. Acceptance, fear, self-esteem.. worthy to be watched if you can find them for little money.

The actor for Refrax, Randall Slavin is a great photographer in L.A. and he did exhibitions in France too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    I actually liked Gen X and Mutant X very much.

Both titles appeared throughout the mid to early 00s when television was dominated by Power Rangers, Buffy, Highschool drama, X-Files, and coming of age films. The MTV generation.

Yes, they weren’t perfect but picked up a lot of nowadays‘ topics. Acceptance, fear, self-esteem.. worthy to be watched if you can find them for little money.

The actor for Refrax, Randall Slavin is a great photographer in L.A. and he did exhibitions in France too.
    I liked the Gen X show too. One of the actors from it went on the play Coop in charmed. It was still very white-washed as well. Or rather they subbed characters to get the look they wanted.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I tolerated Generation X only long enough to see Suzanne Davis' hair "Buff" out
    Last edited by Micabe; 09-19-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

Knew it had a movie but didn't know Husk was replaced.
    Last edited by D.Z; 09-19-2022 at 04:59 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I still want Buff and Refrax to be folded into the 616 universe. Make them pre Gen X Hellions that went on a different path instead of joining Gen X.
    They weren't terrible ideas for characters. Sure, they were modeled to fit the good girl and bad boy archetypes like Husk and Chamber, but they were mostly their own thing. Refrax was the cocky loudmouth as opposed to Jono's reserved and brooding. At least until he finds out that his supposedly cool power can actually damage his relationships. And Buff represented adolescent body image issues cranked up to 11.

There were a number of interesting ideas or well-done things but so many others that weren't. Like maybe they shouldn't have used the concept right off the bat, but aside from the scenery-chewing, the Russell Tresh character was an interesting idea. When you boil him down and move past the aesthetic details, he's a human man who's jealous of mutants' power and wants it for himself. That's an interesting enough concept for an X-Villain.

I didn't hate it. Could it have been better? Of course. Could it have been worse? Absolutely! They made the whole thing for like a million bucks, which is nothing in Hollywood. It definitely has problems, but if you go back and read some of the Gen X issues, it would totally fit in(there were a lot of random, kinda bad stories in there if we are being honest...) and it does lightly grasp some of the better parts of the canon; like Emma and Sean's relationship, M, Skin, and Jubilee are reasonably well adapted in terms of characterization(it is too bad they didn't realize Jubilee is Chinese, but I think many casual fans might not have realized that based on TAS), their Mondo is a million times more fun than Mondo in the comics(even if that took cannibalizing Synch's spot), and yes, Buff and Refrax are somehow perfectly Husk and Chamber while totally being their own things. Mature headmistress Emma is spot on. Okay nuEmma fans, that is precisely how the character should have been circa GenX, none of this Morrison's "I'm only 27" garbage. Banshee's actor was the same guy who did his voice in TAS, so that was kinda cool. Let foreigners have accents. It's okay. Not everyone has to have the exact same middle-American accent.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I love me some finola hughes, anna devane rocks when she isn't dickmitized but yeah, my first thought is white-washed to all hell. And just to add a small part of me is happy people are throwing shade on black people being in game of thrones and lotr because they really let's the world see people for who they really are. Especially when mum was the word from the same people on the many Greatest Story Every told movies, or cleopathra, or gods of egypt. Since race matters in the portrayal of fiction minority characters even more need to be protected by their own admission.
    jubilee was the only character white washed tho.. Skin, M, and even Mondo (incorrectly) kept their minority status
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I liked the Gen X show too. One of the actors from it went on the play Coop in charmed. It was still very white-washed as well. Or rather they subbed characters to get the look they wanted.
    Do you mean MUTANT X which featured Victor Webster, not GEN X? Webster, and other actors on the show had worked on other shows before and had talent - not much of which were evident on the MUTANT X show. #fuckyeahjohnshea

It wasn't so much a "whitewashed" show because none of the character pre-existed the show beyond general archetypes with their Adam Kane being a Professor X, because they couldn't outright adapt X-MEN at the time. "Lily-white", however, it was...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Astonishing Member

Ah yes, the Mutant X show. It was ridiculous and not exactly Emmy-worthy, but it was pretty fun if you didn't go into watching it with any kind of expectations, lol. And add me to the ranks of people who very much enjoyed Victor Webster and his character.

But my favorite thing about the Mutant X show was the various ways they came up with to mimic dynamics from the X-Men, since the whole reason Mutant X existed as a show was they wanted to capitalize on people associating the show with mutants, but didn't actually have the legal rights to use any actual X-characters.

Like just saying, the show's analogues of Xavier and Magneto and the way it tried to make their dynamic parallel the Xavier and Magneto dynamic from X-Men comics.....that was absolutely hilarious to watch.

BANNED

well, in the original Generation X comic, Mondo was in it but there was two versions of him both good guy and bad guy spy. One of them was Samoan or something. Then the oher Mondo was Samoan and the real good guy Mondo that showed up later on.

in the movie, Mondo ended up as one o those young black dudes that was a jock.

and as for Mutant X, dont get me started on that show lol. I still love it but hate it at the same time.

the blonde gal in the show didnt she have like have a mutant ability that gave her the ability to act "feral" or whatever? So she was like a poor man's version of Sabretoothor whatever?

also the other younger dude had a weird magma/heat abiity that changed his body. Pretty much like the Magma character from the old New Mutants comic book.

and the immortal bad guy on Mutant X was pretty much like Apocalypse and that was it.

Basically Mutant X show did a weird job of borrowing a few things from the X-Men comics but the show also ended up trying odd things by adding New Mutants stuff too.

at least the show was better than the Night Man show that was on WGN/WOR or TBS late at night.

Speaking of Night Man comic for a second, wasnt that a Top Cow comic book series?

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    jubilee was the only character white washed tho.. Skin, M, and even Mondo (incorrectly) kept their minority status

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    You know a project's a bad idea when 'White Jubilee' doesn't ring any bells

I don't think any of the actors ethnicities fit their characters ethnicities.

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post

...and as for Mutant X, dont get me started on that show lol. I still love it but hate it at the same time.
    -edit-
    also the other younger dude had a weird magma/heat abiity that changed his body. Pretty much like the Magma character from the old New Mutants comic book.
    Jesse Kilmartin as portrayed by Forbes March on MUTANT X?
    Jesse actually was more like a bargain basement Vision, with the ability to alter his density. But the visual effect they used was very Magma-like when he would increase his density.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post

Speaking of Night Man comic for a second, wasnt that a Top Cow comic book series?
    Actually , Malibu Comics’ Ultraverse, later Marvel Comics’ Ultraverse when it bought Malibu in 1995. But tragically , no revival since the Quesada-Jemas era tsk tsk tsk

And it seems that they retconned the evil-Mondo-was-just-a-clone as being a mere lie by an embarassed Mondo, because why else would he be still buddies with the rest of Gen-X if that was not really him at all to begin with in the first place

Black Tom’s statement “my creation, my version of Mondo” can be taken metaphorically, instead of literally, in that he brainwashed Mondo , creating an evil version via split-personality-dissociative-identity-alter-ego ala Apocalypse’s Horsemen (of course he’s [A] Now)

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I don't think any of the actors ethnicities fit their characters ethnicities.
    Well I think the actor who played Skin is Mexican
    and Amarylis the chick who played M was pretty spot on...attitude and looks
    GrindrStone(D)